UPDATED DRAFT NIGHT – The 2023 The Carlton Draft will be broadcast live on FOX Footy on Wednesday 3 May.
Six AFL legends will be drafted to local footy clubs around Victoria, with Carlton Draught announcing the deserving clubs granted a selection in the 2023 The Carlton Draft.
The Carlton Draft is helping local clubs get back on their feet after a tough few years, with the one-off appearances aiming to bring together Victorian communities and encouraging them to come and support local footy.
The winning local clubs span across Victoria and will enthusiastically welcome the retired AFL players as they take the field alongside the local legends who play every week.
This year’s campaign sparked incredible interest with over 300 clubs nominating. With the campaign’s aim to support grassroots footy where it was most needed, the six footy clubs were selected because they’ve done it particularly hard in recent years.
The six selected clubs are:
• Buchan Football Netball Club – Omeo & District Football Netball League
• Carngham Linton Football Netball Club – Central Highlands Football League
• Maryborough Rovers Football Netball Club – Maryborough & District Football Netball League
• Moyston-Willaura Football Netball Club – Mininera & District Football Netball League
• Murrabit Football Netball Club – Golden Rivers Football League
• Nilma Darnum Football Netball Club – Ellenbank District Football League
The Carlton Draft playing pool includes over 1700 games of AFL experience, with each player coming out of retirement for one unforgettable match in 2023.
The Carlton Draft playing pool comprises:
• 2003 Brownlow Medal winner Nathan Buckley
• Four-time premiership Hawk Jordan Lewis
• 229-game veteran and Fox Footy media personality Bernie Vince
• 2004 Power premiership player and outspoken media personality Kane Cornes
• Recently retired 2012 premiership player and former Sydney Swans captain Josh Kennedy
• Fremantle games record holder and 2015 All-Australian David Mundy
It will be a nervous wait for clubs ahead of draft night on Wednesday 3 May, which will be broadcast live on FOX FOOTY. The draft order and how it’s determined will be revealed on the night.
Draft Commissioner, Jonathan Brown said:
“For the lucky six clubs selected to have the opportunity to draft a former AFL legend will be a sight to behold for the local community and I’m sure all of the draftees can’t wait to play a role in bringing the spark back to local footy.
“Last year’s campaign saw so many special moments created for the local footy clubs selected, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for the 2023 edition of The Carlton Draft. It will have a huge impact on the local communities involved as communities come out in force to watch the game.”
Head of Classic Beer, Sarah Wilcox said:
“We would like to thank all clubs that took the time to nominate for the second instalment of The Carlton Draft and congratulate the six lucky clubs that have been selected.
“For The Carlton Draft to receive over 300 entries in its second year shows how excited communities are to watch local footy continue to bounce back with a Carlton Draught in hand.
“The selected clubs have unfortunately been struggling, like so many clubs over the last few years and we can’t wait for The Carlton Draft to help them get back on their feet.”
– ENDS –
For interview requests with playing talent and/or The Carlton Draft spokespeople please contact TLA on behalf of Carlton & United Breweries:
M: 0452 461 499
M: 0422 579 820